topmenu

in a new light :: simple blogging

March 16, 2010

by susan tuttle

If you are reading this, chances are you have your own blog that you are passionate about. You enjoy sharing pieces of your life in your online journal and relish in the creating of rich, meaningful posts resplendent with innermost thoughts, poetry, photography and links to things you love. You probably invest much time and energy whenever you create a post, holding yourself to lofty standards, getting it just right before you push that publish button.

We all know how important it is to post regularly in order to maintain a steady following, and all of us at times have those days when it is time to post but we feel we can’t rise to the occasion, either because we don’t have the time, the content or inclination to post. I’ve discovered a simple approach to posting that’s perfect for those “off” days — an approach that’s fun, not at all time-consuming, low-pressure, and inspiring.

Simply make a list of experiences drawn from your day, accompanied by one or two random photographs taken that same day. Keep each item on the list short — one to four words per experience works well. Here, let me show you…

To accompany the random photo from my day in this post, I give you this simple list:

orange paint, lavender coconut body cream, moka pot, thrifting, wool blanket, black + white photography, dentist reminder, lime green roving, lost keys, white chocolate mocha, lemon pudding cake, barber shop, Lucy Schwartz, red wine, shrimp in remoulade sauce, candlelit talk, cuddles, stargazing, photomanipulation

The first time I did this, I was surprised to discover how the list read like poetry; how enchanting it seemed — casting some glitter upon my ordinary day. En-joy!

Susan Tuttle is a mixed-media and digital artist who resides in a small-town community in the state of Maine. Her first book, Exhibition 36: Mixed-Media Demonstrations + Explorations, was released by North Light Books in December 2008, and her second book, Digital Expressions: Creating Digital Art with Adobe® Photoshop® Elements, a technique-based publication on digital art, will be published by North Light Books in May 2010 and is currently available for pre-order on Amazon. Susan is a frequent contributor to Stampington & Company publications and other mixed-media books. You can visit her site at www.ilkasattic.com and her blog at www.ilkasattic.blogspot.com through which she is offering online digital art workshops on the subjects of photomanipulation, digital montage, and a variety of Photoshop techniques.

18 Responses to “in a new light :: simple blogging”

1. Teddy Started It says:

Great idea. With two small kiddos, a business in the works, and just life in general I often struggle with getting the blog posts up. My perfectionist nature doesn't help either. I'm going to start working on my 'short list'. Thanks for the inspiration.

2. Dana Barbieri says:

I love this. I will definitely be doing this on those days when I can't do much more!

3. sally towers-sybblis says:

I just started my blog on Sunday. If you look at it as a journal where you can write your daily thoughts it seems more doable.Journalling everyday is part of my artistic journey.

4. jacqueline says:

Thank you for this suggestion. I have made a goal this year to blog at least once per week, but I would like to do more. This idea will help. Your are inspiring!

5. Dianne Poinski says:

Beautiful image and I love your idea. I agree – the list reads like poetry. My wish is to find the simple things in my life "feeling" like poetry instead of chores and obligations.

6. Courtney Price says:

Fabulous idea.

7. Heckety says:

This is really helpful- thank you muchly! I'm taking note.

8. Emily says:

Lovely reminder- thanks for the great ideas… and such a lovely photo! xo

9. rachel awes says:

ooooh, how fun! i might just give it a try here!…noodles with stir-fried veges mixed in, making cards,listening to stories, my hubby's birthday, rain.thank you for this lovely post!

10. Holly says:

What a wonderful idea! Thank you for sharing it with us. I will have to give it a try as well!

11. Princess Haiku says:

This is a good idea as I find that it is feast or famine in my own blogging.

12. Trudy Callan says:

Thank you for the idea. I love it.

13. ELK says:

your bloom is incredible to see . the words are a comfort as always ..

14. Seth says:

thanks susan. a perfect approach!

15. Christina says:

these are such great ideas! i think i might try and add a bit of these ideas to my week. xo

16. soraya nulliah says:

Thanks so much for this great idea! Yes, I think we can all relate-so busy with all the stuff of life to post as often as I owuld like. I will certainly try this!

17. [...] In a New Light: Simple Blogging. Turn your day into a poetic, enchanting poem accompanied with a photo. By mixed media artist Susan [...]

18. I am curious to find out what blog platform you happen to be working with?
    I’m experiencing some small security issues with my latest website and I would like to find something more secure.
    Do you have any recommendations?